Delicious Vegan Kale Pesto Recipes

Wednesday 16 April 2014

I love the idea of pesto, but I absolutely cannot approve just how much salt, or oil is poured onto the mixture of commercial products. Some of them have some other strange ingredients added and I wouldn't risk eating such product on a daily basis.
So I came up with an idea that is both healthy, delicious and well-balanced and takes no time to prepare! It is perfect for mixing it up with your pasta, salad or even add less olive oil and use it as a toast topping!
Here are my favorite two varieties:

Here's what you'll need for CASHEW based pesto:
♥ Organic Kale - 200g (I just get a large packet and use it all)
♥ Cashew Nuts that are raw, unsalted, non-roasted and preferably organic - 90-100g (or less if you like!)
♥ Organic Virgin Olive Oil - 2-3 table spoons. You can definitely play around with it and use little less if you want to make a spread for toast.
♥ Fresh Basil leaves - I use about a half from the whole living basil pot I buy from supermarket (wish I had a garden to grow my own basil! sigh... :) )
Freshly squeezed juice from either a half or quarter of fresh lemon
♥ Sea Salt - half a table spoon
♥ Ground Black Pepper - to taste

After you washed all leaves and kale, put all ingredients in a chopper or a food processor, and chop until the desired smoothness. If little more moisture needed just add lemon juice or water! ;)

And Voilá!
Serve with wholemeal organic pasta (cooked al dente), wholemeal pitta bread or a salad. 

And for MACADAMIA based pesto everything is the same BUT FOR:
♥ Macadamia Nuts that are raw and unsalted - 90-100g or less if you like
♥ Freshly squeezed juice from half a Lime instead of Lemon
♥ I also like to add some fresh dill to the mixture - just a few grams will suffice

Perfect with organic German rye bread... ❤

A DELICIOUS DIP VERSION:

This one is actually a raw organic spinach based dip (which again can be perfectly made of kale, so it's entirely up to you!:)) with cashew nuts, lemon juice and sea salt. For this variation just add slightly less olive oil and voila!



Enjoy your food and be healthy!
With Love,
Natalia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment