Vegan Peanut Butter Rum Balls a.k.a Chocolate Little Snowball Cakes

Tuesday 30 December 2014

No Christmas or New Year's Eve table goes without a delicious dessert. This year I upgraded my family's all time favorite dessert to a healthier level  - less sugar, saturated fats, refined grains but still keeping the taste rich and festive. And it's vegan!



This cake has a funny name with Russians - a "potato" cake. It used to be a very popular and somewhat posh dessert in USSR.  I still remember a morning at the cafe when I was 5 and my mom bought it to me the first time. My taste buds literally dancing! :) I first surprised my parents by making a traditional version of "potato" cakes when I was 18 and since then all my family requests them for special occasions, like birthdays, Easter, New Year's Eve and so on. By now, I know just how explosive the ingredients combination is for our body, so I was pondering how to replace those ingredients with something more healthy. The result was welcomed with approval, so here's a recipe to surprise your loved ones! ;)

I must only remind that although it is a healthier version, this still is a dessert and so should be enjoyed only occasionally to keep your weight and health in tip top condition! ;)



INGREDIENTS:
(Makes 11 small balls):

♥ 170g of organic rolled oats finely ground in a coffee grinder or chopper to make them almost flour-like
♥ 50 ml organic oat milk
♥ 70g organic smooth peanut butter
♥ 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey
♥ 3 heaped tablespoons (or more depending on your to taste) of organic cocoa powder or you can melt 50g of 70% cocoa dark chocolate, which is what I did for the cakes pictured
♥ 1 tablespoon of almond extract
♥ 1 tablespoon of rum or cognac (skip if kids will eat these cakes too)
♥ 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
♥ Handful of organic dessicated coconut
♥ Half small banana sliced crosswise into 1.5 cm thick little coins

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl combine ground oats with vanilla powder and mix them well with a large table spoon.
2. Add agave nectar (or honey), almond extract, rum (or cognac) and mix well.
3. Stir in peanut butter and melted chocolate. This is the time to act quickly - mix in the ingredients well while the chocolate is still runny.
4. To finish up. I find that kneading with my bare (and of course clean!) hands. ;)
4. If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit of oats milk. If the mixture is too runny, don't worry - it will solidify a bit after some time.
5. Take 3 separate clean plates: 1st for dessicated coconut, 2nd for formed round balls and 3rd where these balls will go after being covered in coconut flakes (alternatively and airtight container is good too as it will keep them fresh longer).
6. Start forming cakes! :) I start with warming up the mixture in my hands to make a flat piece almost like for a cookie. I then take 1 banana coin, put it in the middle and roll the mixture into a round ball.
Once all your balls are ready, start rolling them in coconut and press them lightly to get coconut flakes stick better.
7. Refrigerate your ready cakes for a least 3 hours. If you can refrigerate them overnight, this is even better as they will soak in the flavors to the maximum.

Happy Holidays! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment